Saturday, January 13, 2007

Okay, so now I’m getting excited about this trip to Thailand. Things have been so busy up until this point, that I’ve been a bit distracted.

So why Thailand? Well, ever since I played Anna in The King and I many summers ago, I’ve wanted to experience Siam firsthand. Over the years, I learned more about the country, the culture and the religion, all of which continued to draw me in closer. And finally, I was invited to visit Thailand by Peter Close, an international medium, who now makes his home in Thailand. Peter and I had worked side by side for years at Robert Brown’s yearly retreats in the Bahamas. (Robert Brown authored We Are Eternal.)

Of course I wasn’t about to hop a plane to Thailand and sit on Peter’s doorstep until he let me in. Instead, this is how Spirit worked it out . . .

I “happened” to be in San Diego teaching a workshop for The Learning Annex. Two people I had met in the Bahamas at one retreat “happened” to attend. After mentioning to me that they had relatives living in Thailand, they “happened” to sit next to Peter Close at dinner one night. More than dinner was cooked up - - that night a trip to Thailand with me as a guest was served up as dessert.

My two traveling companions, Gloria and Cal Duncan, love mediumship and think that I’m funny. (We’ll see if they still think so after being with me for 3 weeks on the road in a foreign land.) Gloria’s cousin, Charlie and his wife, Lek, have volunteered to be our guides for the duration of our stay. Charlie is a leading authority on Buddhist art in Thailand. His book is available on Amazon. Here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Art-Introduction-Charles-Chicarelli/dp/9749575547/sr+1-1/qid=1168710696/ref=sr_1_1/103-1065836-1983820?ie=UTF8&s=books.

Today, though, I had no time to read Charlie’s book. I was a medium on a mission - -

First stop – Travelex (The World’s Foreign Exchange Shop) where I bought Thai baht at a great exchange rate - - 31 baht to the dollar. For those of you in the Los Angeles area, Travelex is located in the Glendale Galleria on the 5th floor next to Mervyn’s. There are other offices in West Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

Stop Two - To get ready for 3 weeks of new food, I ate authentic Thai cuisine at Thai House Restaurant, 449 S. Glenoaks Blvd., Burbank, CA (818.848.1169). I even tried pronouncing the name of my dish. In response, my waitress giggled, which I think means in Thai, “You said it perfectly.” Bean curd with bean sprouts – delicious.

Three - Staples to copy all important travel documents three times.

Four – Costco to buy a digital camera.

Five – Radio shack for voltage adaptors.

Six – 99c store for last minute necessities including toothpaste. (Like they don’t have toothpaste in Thailand.)

Seven – Go home and collapse.

Tomorrow I have to pack. Maybe I can just bring the camera and the toothpaste and forget about the clothes? Naked medium at large . . . hmmm . . . . might create an international incident.

Tomorrow. Pack.

No comments: