Thursday, January 4, 2007

Touching the Spirit World in Thailand

Thailand.

Pristine beaches, some of the greatest diving in the world, beautiful, smiling people, exquisite temple compounds, tigers, elephants and exotic food.

Thailand.

Bombings, child predators, disaster by tsunami.

Sounds a bit like Southern California on a good day, so I should feel right at home.

I've been wanting to visit Thailand for years because friends have visited frequently, some have stayed and others (because they couldn't pick up and move) brought back souvenirs, a different way of looking at life and one, even a wife.

And now that it is my turn, I am much more concerned about what to bring!

Mosquito repellent - check. Malaria pills - check. Kevlar vest (note to self: purchase.)

I've had shots for Hep A, B, Typhoid and Tetanus. My physician rolled her eyes when I mentioned innoculations (none available at her office or covered by insurance . . . sigh), so it was off to Healthy Traveler Clinic, 1250 East Green Street, Pasadena, CA 91106 (626) 584-1200. The staff is extremely informed and the doctor exceptionally talented at giving shots. It is one stop shopping for all a traveler's medical needs as well as for yearly flu shots.

There's more prep to go before leaving on January 15th. I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hiya Holli,

I am really looking forwards to hearing of your travels in Thailand. When I have my morning coffee, I will be thinking of you and Peter having an evening coffee in his favorite Starbucks!

P.S. Baby tigers are cute, but they bite! Stay safe!

seagazer said...

Holli,
Thailand - what an adventurous soul you are! I hope you're going to write in your blog to let us know what it's like and tell us about your experiences. Just about the time you're basking in those gorgeous waters, winter will probably hit us with a bang here in Maryland! Say hello to Peter, and have a wonderful time....

Mary Anne

dana said...

Hi Holli!

I love reading your accounts of this trip. I've never been anywhere close to Thailand, but I'm getting a real sense of the place. You could be a travel writer, you'd be one of the funniest no doubt!

Thanks for sharing your experience in such an honest and thoughtful way...

Dana