Monday, January 29, 2007

SIZE MATTERS


Whoever started the rumor that size doesn't matter, obviously hasn't been to Thailand.

Here, BIGGER is BETTER . . .

There aren't computer stores; there are computer malls.

There isn't just a GAP; there are 100 stores making jeans to order.

There aren't just amulets; there are shivalingas which are phalluses representing the creative force of the Hindu god Shiva. The greater the size, the greater the blessing and resulting luck. At a local market, I saw a shivalinga which could have doubled as a Louisville Slugger. (Size matters.)

There isn't just a temple; there is Angkor Wat which is a forty square mile complex with pools large enough for 600 concubines and individual homes for 12 wives. Okay, so Angkor Wat is in Cambodia now, but the Thais still claim it culturally. The Cambodians have ungraciously named the city Siem Reap (translation: where the Siamese were conquered). It doesn't matter that this happened more than 500 years ago - - it is still a sore point.

There aren't just domesticated cows, oxen, dogs, cats and monkeys; there are elephants which have been used historically for war, for royal transportation and for clearing jungle, and building everything from a fence to stone palaces. BIG elephants.

There aren't just restaurants; there are BUFFETS. Huge spreads of cuisines from Thailand, China, India and the West. For breakfast at the Holiday Inn, you can have a Japanese omelet (which has the consistency of pate), beans on toast, French pastries, fried rice and miso soup. Oh, and don't forget the salad bar - - "a healthy way to start the day." (I didn't make that up; that's what the sign says.)

In most cases, bigger is better.

EXCEPT - - when it comes to dress size.

A friend told me not to bring much in the way of clothes because clothing is cheap in Thailand. Wisely, I ignored that suggestion. However, within 7 days I had sweated through every piece of packed clothing. And since there are no laundromats (got the hint when I noticed that every balcony in Bangkok has clothes hanging), I thought, "Why not buy a few things?"

Why not? Well, for instance, there are no plus size stores. My bra cups are so large in comparison that a few young Thai girls could go swimming in them on a hot day.

Finally, I found a place in the market which sold XXL t-shirts which are airbrushed with suspicious characters. I think that they're actually meant to be tents, but at $2 for 4, they'll do.

Now please understand, that in America, I'm not considered really big. Maybe just XL - - but here, I am HUGE.

This could not have been more apparent than when we visited the hill tribes in northern Thailand, outside of Chiang Mai. These groups, the Akha, Hmong, Lisu, Karen, Lahu, Mien and Paduang are largely refugees from Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Tibet and China. Their traditions are very much alive and they live in thatched villages, grow crops the old way and make money by selling handmade crafts and tribal clothing.

These people are petite. Small in a way that we really can't fathom. Tiny in stature (some women not more than 4'5" and small boned.

The Paduang are known as the "giraffe people." They earned this nickname because their women don an ever increasing pile of heavy metal rings around their necks. This practice depresses the rib cage so dramatically that their necks appear longer. The faces of these women are extremely fine featured and beautiful.

Enter big American lady.

I didn't expect to cause such a stir. At first I thought that I was just being solicited to buy intricately woven purses, hats and clothing. And then, after a few photos with colorfully outfitted tribesmen that looked absolutely terrified when I squeezed in between them, I thought, "Hmmm . . . must not see many Americans."

And then . . .

Children can be so perfectly uninhibited.

A young boy (about 4) ran up to me at the prompting of his brothers. When I bent down to say hello, he reached up and tried slipping a garlic clove down my shirt. When that didn't work, he tried to place it on my chest. He was delighted with himself (as were his cohorts in crime) , but his mother started to admonish him. I just laughed and reassured her that I understood.

Of course he looked and my chest and could assume only one thing - - - BUFFET!

Size DEFINITELY matters.

2 comments:

SteveO said...

I'm very much enjoying your "blog"; this is my first time participating in a blog. I like it a lot! I was very intrigued with the "wide acceptance of Spirit Communication in Thailand and then I thought "of course it is tied with ancestor worship". Given that background, one would want to connect with one's ancestors and loved ones. Your blog makes this cultural exchange so real and I was happy to hear of the love they feel while participating in mediumship. Your connecting and also making deeper connections with the people and culture there it would seem. I also got the sense that spirit speaks in a "universal sign / symbol language" that cuts across any language barrier; how wonderful to know. Not being a medium, I seem to get the communication from my wife Janice right through the heart so I assume they can communicate through images but also through sets of feelings.
Anyway love the blog,
Best wishes for a good trip,
SteveO

carolyn Surtees said...

all's well in Cambridge Glenn so glad you are having such an incredible experience. DC & granbabes and their parents were warm and wonderful ..guess the spitits were with me as well thx be safe oxox Carolyn