Thursday, January 18, 2007

Travels and Travails


I haven't stayed up for more than 24 hours since college - - and I don't recommend it once you're older than 24. However, if you want to visit Thailand and are traveling from Los Angeles, CA, get ready for a l-o-n-g trip.

Actual flying time is 17 hours - - that doesn't include the initial travel to the airport, the two hours to get through security, the 3 1/2 hour layover in Tokyo and the dodgeball driving to the hotel after landing in Bangkok. At several points during this ordeal I asked myself, "And you're doing this why?"

Well, it isn't as though Spirit didn't give me a few welcoming signs along the way.

On the flight from San Francisco to Tokyo, a lovely lady who is an architect in Bangkok gave me her card and offered to take me out to dinner and make herself available if I needed any help during my stay. Another passenger, on his way to Hong Kong, told me all about his job with Ambercrombie and Fitch. He oversees the quality of the "Hollister" brand. "Why," I asked him, don't the clothes fit any normal people?" He assured me that his own girlfriend (a size 8) can't wear them either. I was not reassured, especially since I thought it would be fun to do events in a Hollister shirt. Not going to happen.

At Tokyo's Narita airport, I thought the the plane had made a u-turn and landed in the middle of Rodeo Drive. The gates only served as inconvenient interruptions between stores like Tiffany, Ferragamo, Cartier, Hermes and the pedestrian Coach.

There were also Japanese shops full of Little Kitty merchandise and psychedelic sweets. Each box of candy was a work of art. But since chocolate is my drug of choice, I was forced to consider the pounds and pounds of Belgian chocolate for sale. However, with the faint hope of someday wearing a Hollister shirt, I refrained.

I did, however, have a pound of See's candy in my carry-on. No, not for an emergency chocolate fix, but for a hostess gift. I wanted to bring items which were distinctly American and particularly Californian. Since I didn't think I would get through customs with avocados, See's was the next choice. That and CDs of Broadway hits, Jazz standards and American Idol's Taylor Hicks rounded out the selection of gifts.

Once we finally landed in Bangkok, I dashed off the plane, down the gangway and came face to face with a 25 ft. tall blue god - - the Thai culture has adopted some gods from the Indian culture - - I do think that this was an incarnation of Indra - - a protector.

There were other immense statues of gods in the airport as well. However, what was made clear immediately was the reverence for the king of Thailand. His photo hangs everywhere with signs proclaiming, "Long Live the King." This king is beloved and revered above all except maybe the Buddha. His reign of 60 years has been one of special projects for the people and the preservation of the culture of Thailand. Do not make the mistake of considering this special king to be a mere politician. He is loved and no one, I repeat, NO ONE is to say anything unflattering about him.

The drive from the airport to the hotel put Nascar to shame. So glad that we made the choice NOT to rent a car. I'm just not ready to cross over - - and that is more than a possibility driving in Bangkok.

The city is filled with cars . . . and pollution. Some do wear masks to filter out the toxins.

And then through the haze under the elevated sky train was the sign for Holiday Inn. And I was happy.

Holiday Inn Bangkok was redecorated last year. It is like no Holiday Inn in the states - - marble everywhere, golden silk on the walls and gongs hung by the elevators. Rooms themselves are simple, elegant with silk coverlets, a menu of pillows (yes, a guide next to the bed is called "menu of pillows" and explains the variety on the bed) and the bathroom has toiletries laid out like sushi and a glass enclosed rain shower.

All I cared about was the rain shower followed by the menu of pillows. I slept on them all. I "ate" the whole thing.

3 comments:

seagazer1 said...

Hopefully after spending time with your menu of pillows you're again feeling energized and ready to go. I'm enjoying hearing about Thailand (and more)from your blog -particularly since it's doubtful I'd ever tackle that long of a trip on my own.

So there wasn't an Avenue among those stores in Tokyo, eh? Whenever I travel overseas, I live in fear that my luggage will be lost, and picture myself looking for replacements in a country of size 2 women!

What side of the road do they use in Thailand?

Mary Anne

Christine said...

Hi Holli,

Sounds like your adventures are off and running! I hope your travels are wonderous and special. Say hi to Peter for us. I enjoy reading your blogs. You have a direct and humerous writing style :-).

Love,

Christine & Alan

Mary Ann Loconte said...

So did you get to use a pillow to sit on on the plane?

You are definitely off on an adventure.

If you need clothes, you can always wrap and rewrap yourself in long scarves of material. That's how I used to play dressup as a kid. Be sure to have some large pins or purchase some velcro.
The jewelry is calling to you???
Bangles and rings?

Sometimes you have to close your eyes to travel in foreign countries in their taxis. Had you know more about the pollution, you could have borrowed some masks from Michael Jackson. Air filters help in the room.

The food is yummy, just make sure there is someone to interpret the ingredients.

I always carry chocolate with me, but not as a gift, but as a reward for stressful events. Some of the candy gets a little old, and sometimes I don't have enough to sustain me.

Say hello to Peter for me - saw him several times at Awakenings.

I'm enjoying your blog. - Have you tried the showers yet? Sometimes you can't turn in them, or if you drop the soap the walls are a bit close.

Is the weather hot there now or are you near the rainy season?

You'll have a ball. Don't forget to journal what you're taking pictures of everyday.

News flash - Spirits following blonde medium from US - watch for your loved one in the parade :-)

Ha

Talk to you later
Mary Ann Loconte